Marketing Automation – How do you make it work?
No it’s not just another marketing buzz word, not this time. Marketing Automation isn’t just a rehash of something we were already doing but given a funky new name, it’s something that could actually save us some time and really streamline the way we work.
As a new business, this is an area we are investigating… in a nutshell marketing automation refers to the software that automates your marketing; software that is designed to help you prioritize and execute your marketing tasks in a more streamlined and efficient way. Ultimately the software will free up some of your time and help you reach your goals faster by driving traffic to your website, convert traffic into leads, and leads into customers.
Here are some of the things marketing automation allows you to do more effectively:
- Email marketing
- Landing page creation
- Cross-channel marketing campaigns
- Lead generation
- Lead nurturing and scoring
- Cross-sell and up-sell
- Measuring ROI
Interesting stuff! So as a recruitment agency what are the ways that we could effectively utilize Marketing Automation? Initial thoughts of how it would apply to our business are:
- Social media automation – being able to verify necessary skills, spread the word about new positions and engage our clients at the same time. By engaging prospective candidates in a fun, interactive and social way this would allow us to engage the people who want those jobs most, and narrow down the best fit for the position.
- Sending out SMS updates – text is a perfect point of contact for quick updates telling potential candidates that jobs have been added to their fields. This will increase the recruitment site traffic since people tend to forget to check things, the reminders will also make them curious as to the exact nature of the new position. Also text message reminders of appointments will almost certainly reach them no matter where they are.
- Survey contact on how people are doing in their new positions – having data from people who were candidates and now actually work for a company can be used to draw in willing and able applicants. By sending out surveys at the beginning, middle and end of a given contract, we could collect data on the kind of work being done, the quality of life at work, and the culture of the workplace.
- Tracking data – most automation products come with a good deal of tracking data, from what actions are taken with emails to how many people viewed a specific landing page to the social media information of our followers such as age and gender demographics. This data could be used to help us shift our focus, or even send out targeted messages based on specific demographic information or what actions they took with our message. This would help us target and personalize our messages, while still automating the process.
We would be really interested to hear how you have made Marketing Automation work for you? Are you in the process of looking into it too or have you already invested? What areas have benefitted you the most and what systems are you using? Please let us know how you do it? We would love to hear your comments…..! Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle and Jo, Directors of Mercury Talent Recruitment Specialists
Researched and Written by Jane Jordan – Marketing Executive, Mercury Talent